In order to register a domain name in the .law TLDs, the full official name of the registrant must be recorded in the Name and/or Organization fields in the Registrant Contact information of the relevant whois record AND the registrant must be one of the following:
- A Qualified Lawyer: A professional who is licensed by a Legal Regulator to practice law. A Qualified Lawyer must be identifiable as a currently-licensed practitioner in the public records kept by the relevant Legal Regulator (a lawyer with inactive or non-practicing status who is not authorized to provide regulated legal services under the rules of their Legal Regulator is not eligible under this Eligibility Policy).
- A Law Firm: A partnership or incorporated entity formed by one or more Qualified Lawyers to engage in the practice of law. In jurisdictions where applicable, a Law Firm must be authorized by a Legal Regulator to provide legal services.
- A Court of Law: An organization of government enacted by international, national, or state legislation that has the authority to adjudicate legal disputes between parties and carry out the administration of justice in a given jurisdiction.
- A Law School: An institution approved by a Legal Regulator or a recognized regulator of education to provide academic or vocational legal education as part of a process for becoming a Qualified Lawyer within a given jurisdiction.
- A Legal Regulator: An institution that is enacted and/or approved by international, national, or state legislation to regulate the provision of legal services in a given jurisdiction.
Note: The Registry for .law reserves the right to engage an independent verification agent to carry out the verification of applicants against the Eligibility Criteria in this Eligibility Policy. The .law registry reserves the right for the independent verification agent to contact applicants in order to request any further information or supporting documentation that it deems necessary to satisfy itself as to whether or not an applicant meets the requirements of this Eligibility Policy.
By registering a .law name, registrant agrees that they meet and will continue to meet any and all eligibility criteria prescribed in the Registry Policies. The Registry has the full discretion to determine, in its sole election (and/or by its designated and authorized agents to determine) that a registrant does not meet the eligibility criteria, or no longer meets the eligibility criteria, and in such case the Registry has the right to suspend, transfer, delete, or terminate services to the registrant without written notice (including without limitation deletion of the registrant’s domain name(s) in the TLD).